Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Saturday, August 12, 2006

America the Beautiful


A little ramble today. What is better. To love this country right or wrong or to love it in spite of itself? Is there a difference?

I still talk to some conservatives from time to time. They think the United States is the best country in the world. Although I wonder from time to time, I'm willing to accept that argument for the most part. I guess you have to presume that it is something better than a choice between imperfect alternatives. Too many arguments are "love it or leave it" etc. etc. Too much chest-thumping for how great we are. And then some of the same people get bent out of shape why everyone wants to come here.

To me it seems like the expression has contorted to mean something more like "love this country because it (by virtue of it being it) is always right and never wrong." I would be a little disappointed in myself for supporting genocide against Native Americans, African slavery or the poll tax. Not to mention the fact that if you can't understand why other people hate us you are operating at a severe disadvantage in this day and age.

I believe Bono said the European view of wealth is different that the American view. The American looks up at the white mansion on the hill and says, "someday I'm going to have a house like that." The Irishman looks up and says, "someday I'm going to get that bastard." Kiss me I'm Irish.

I've just been thinking lately, isn't it better to love what this country has been able to achieve and could be without blinding yourself to the incredible damage and destruction we have also wrought.

I remember right around the time of the millennium a political radio station was taking calls on the most evil or murderous men of the 20th century, trolling for answers like Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin but more happy to entertain discussions when callers said "Bill Clinton" or "Ronald Reagan." I called in and said Roosevelt and Truman. Of course a discussion about the bomb ensued. And I appreciate Roosevelt and Truman in spite of what they did. But to absolve them of responsibility for their actions is a mistake. It may make things easier, simpler, less troubling, but it is still a mistake.

I feel the same way about the country. Our decision to relate to other societies by destroying them is in error. But our response to that error can be great. I hope it is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this posting explains why you still fly the flag.

Not exactly a chip off the old block: mamaoriflamme, after protesting the war just before the onset at a candlelight vigil stopped 1) saying the pledge of allegiance, 2) singing the national anthem, and 3) saluting/flying/wearing the flag - until we return to sanity.

With this administration and this war, I am reminded of this WWII poem:

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out"

ALWAYS SPEAK OUT!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home