Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Friday, July 07, 2006

Fiat 124 Spyder

So for the 4th of July weekend, we were in the Detroit suburbs
where I met one of my wife's brothers and two of her sisters. (We got married in Vegas you know). And sitting in the brother's garage was one of these beauties. A 1978 Fiat 124 Spyder in British Racing Green with a tan interior. The wheels are a bit different and there is less rust on the version in his garage.

Of course I had to go after it. Maybe my midlife crisis is early, but I ocassionally miss a car to tinker with - with my old man. Now I just have to work out a place to put it. I even found a mechanic who knows Fiats. So I can only believe the stars are aligning on this one. I first remember seeing the car about 7 years ago parked in my mother in law's garage where it lingered for a long time. I liked it back then too.

I may be totally off base too, but getting a car like this seems like anti-keeping up with the Joneses to me. I mean they are cheap, old and not especially sought after. It doesn't go that fast and isn't too luxurious. But if I can manage to close the deal, I think the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Voix said...

SWEET!!!

You so have to take me for a ride in that baby when I'm down for Thanksgiving.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home