Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Monday, July 31, 2006

Toronto


Just back from a trip to Toronto. Passing through customs two times was exciting. I felt that maybe they would catch a terrorist. Unfortunately the closest I came to seeing that was the lady who refused to turn off her laptop during both takeoff and landing after repeated requests. I thought maybe we would get to see her arrested. Frankly, I think that using your laptop DVD player to watch Elton John videos should be a crime.

It was a lovely city. It seemed European in many ways. Less crime, more smokers, great public transit, horrible drivers, beautiful people, and beautifully planned. And they seem to have a complex about being Canadian. Apparently there are lots of Americans who look down on Canadians. Most Americans I know don't think about Canadians. (Which is worse?). I'm sure a good percentage of the US population can't even find Canada on a map.

It was nice to have money in my pocket with a picture of the queen and Cadbury chocolate in my belly. And to be in a country where getting attacked by terrorists is something of an afterthought (although not entirely).

On our way back to the hotel one night we passed a Lebanese protest rally. There was loud yelling and angry chants and calls for the heads of the Zionists. I'm sure somewhere their counterparts were responding in-kind. Our three and a half year old was over-tired but had the energy to let us know that he didn't like that noise. My sentiments exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home