Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Not much longer now.

Ah Democracy, dies with a whimper. Now the government knows who you are calling. They are doing it to catch terrorists. I guess if you call a terrorist's number they will sit you down for a chat. If the reports are true there are tens of millions of people that they are compiling phone records from. Are that many people calling terrorist's numbers? What definition of terrorist are they using? Really what they need to do is start listening to those calls. And how much longer before they get the green light on that? They already have it for some international calls anyway.

I wouldn't presume to think everyone who follows Pat Robertson is a terrorist just because he has publicly called for the assassination of a popularly elected world leader. I wouldn't presume everyone in the NRA was in favor of the violent overthrow of the government even though many will explain that part of the foundation for a strong second amendment contemplated that possibility. Why monitor their phone calls or worse yet listen in on them.

I don't know if there is a clearer indication of the contempt and/or distrust the government has for the American people. Yet here we are in a time when people not only understand the government's motives but actually applaud them in certain circles. And I though Republicans were opposed to big government. It was supposed to be the liberal left that set up the mechanisms for totalitarianism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home