Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Monday, May 08, 2006

Route 66


I spent most of the day Saturday driving the Mother Road. It was fun, but telling. So many of the communities on the road are withering on the vine. Huge stretches of the road lie decommissioned and abandoned. The interstate, and even the reroutes of the route have sucked the life out of so many small towns which were formerly great, or at worst, someone's home.

But to me the road should still be celebrated. Not because of wonderment and days gone by, but because we chose to stake our fate on the automobile. For fortune or folly, we celebrated the car. Drive-ins, diners and the two-pump gas station abounded. Now it seems part of our history we want to forget. And not for something better. Strangely the roads and way that we drive now is not something we embrace. We want to forget the present as we drive. Forgettable superhighways, forgettable stops for fast food and gas. All in the name of the convenience in time and direction. Well, convenience isn't all I thought it would be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Voix said...

Amen to that and bring on the road trip! Did you take any photos?

And by the way, back dating posts is totally cheating. But I'll forgive you because you're cute.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Ranger said...

No, no pictures. I should have. But it was a trial run anyway. Someday I am going to drive that whole road. Hopefully, with my son. The ultimate road trip.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home