Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hard Labor

One good day of hard labor this weekend. I helped my parents move on Saturday. Here is a picture of their new place which looks lovely. It is an antebellum building in my hometown. They bought the building a couple years ago I think for under six figures and served as the general contractor for the buildout. The building holds two condominiums, a rental apartment a commercial space and a full basement which was at ground level about 100 years ago and I believe was a dry goods store.

In addition to serving as general contractor, My stepdad did a lot of the work himself like installing the cabinets and building the stairs. The stairs were ceiling joists before the diagonal microlaminate beams pictured were installed. He also replaced and rebuilt all the windows himself, only ordering glass panels. My mom ran the books for the work and obtained historic tax credits.
*
I am looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home