Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Code


I just finished the DaVinci Code. [readers say in unison: you cheap bastard]. It was a good read and only took me a couple days. I've long thought that art which taps into modern myth is easy to make compelling. The Exorcist scared the hell out of me. I thought this book functions on the same level. I'm sure the Prose Edda had a similar effect for people who heard it back in the day.

I loved the controversy over people who are convinced the book is literally true. Fitting given the subject matter. I'm not even sure most textbooks are fair and balanced these days.

For me the most interesting aspect of the book was its focus on how Roman Catholicism and frankly most Abrahamic religions have eviscerated the role of females. To me that seems beyond dispute. I mean the two most prominent figures are either an unattainable impossibility (a virgin mother) or a whore. Oh yeah, and Eve was like a temptress tramp too. Jesus didn't get married or screw around, none of his apostles were women. None of the gospels written by women. I'm not certain, but are any of the angels or devils even typically depicted as women? No women popes, no women priests, etc. etc. I was never clear on what nuns did other that serve as the handmaidens of the church. An important role, but hardly equal to that of a pope or cardinal. I had considered all these things before reading the book, but it was a good read for that reason alone.

Frankly I don't even understand why any women really belong to the church. Except perhaps to change it.

Well hooray for the sacred feminine anyway, I hope it at least makes people think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Voix said...

Women are part of the church because they know that all the dick swinging is just that -- obnoxious, self-important men getting all puffed up about who's is biggest.

The real power in any faith system is the collective beliefs and good works of a community. If there is anything that Catholic women know, it's how to stroke the egos of insecure men while at the same time getting everything done despite them.

Not a perfect system, but a comfortable one. If you want to meet some amazing women, hang out with some Benedictine sisters sometime. They fucking ROCK.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Ranger said...

Well too bad they didn't have the foresight to include the women a little bit more in the foundation of the church. Plus for women, they have to overcome mysoginist roadblocks in order to participate at all.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home