Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

What a holiday. And unlike Valentine's day, we have retained the Saint. It was Patrick who drove the snakes out of Ireland. I'd kind of like to see the snakes back in Ireland myself. Maybe they would give the Catholics and Protestants someone else to direct their anger against.

I used to imagine that St. Patrick's day was a great day to partake in good English food, wear orange and St. George's cross. But I guess my beef against the holiday doesn't have anything to do with English or Irish or Catholic or Protestant. I actually kind of like the Ireland, the Irish and Irish culture. Plus I try to shy away from doing things that will get me beat to the point of unconsiousness. As with all holidays, I like the etymology. The green god, the leprechauns, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Not being Catholic or Irish, and not drinking, I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm supposed to do today. But I will wish everyone a happy St. Patrick's day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home