Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

God of War

One facet of the War in Iraq I find brilliant.


"So we'll fight them there, we'll fight them across the world, and we will stay in the fight until the fight is won."

Originally, I think the idea was supposedly premised on the misguided notion that the Al-Qaeda was in Iraq. Only they weren't in Iraq. At least not in any great numbers. While I'm sure Saddam was happy to throw them a bone once in a while, he was running a secular state. He and fundamentalist Islamic terrorist organizations didn't exactly see eye to eye. And we knew this.

Now we have admitted that since the war started, all kinds of terrorist organizations have begun to concentrate in Iraq with the goal of destroying the US presence there. And I think that was one of the considerations in going to war. Present a remote site where Islamic zealots could attack the US without actually attacking the US or putting American civilians in harms way.

It's a brilliant idea. It has been as much as articulated by the president and other government spokespeople. I thinks it's a bit immoral though. Let's use someone else's country as the outhouse. Let's put a generation of young American in harm's way. And perhaps over time we will discover that we made terrorists as fast as we could kill them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Corporal said...

Nefarious! I wouldn't put it past the current regime. In a way though, wasn't that the idea behind the war in Vietnam? Fight the Communists in SE Asia to avoid fighting the Communists in South America.

Guns AND Butter, baby. Guns and Butter.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

holy shit. I never thought of that at all. I will have to think about it for a while

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ranger said...

They've said we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here. Given the fact "they" were never in Iraq, I can only assume we meant to draw them out there, in order to locate and defeat them.

Slightly different than Vietnam I think, good doctor. The containment policy and domino theory are slightly different, primarily because the communist forces then were ideological but national rather than Al-Qaeda which operates more like an NGO.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home