Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ism


Saw Crash the other night. Three stars. What the movie did make me think about was what type of racism is worse, open or concealed.

I always thought we have perfected a very advanced type of discrimination. I see the same pattern with racial minorities and women. The system is so entrenched that Jim Crow laws and flagrant discrimination against women isn't necessary. Instead the group is encouraged to self-discriminate and destroy iteslf. Black on black crime, women fighting other women. If you are in the dominant group you can simply throw up your hands and say "I didn't do anything, just look at what they are doing to themselves." Every discrimination can be done by proxy. It is clean and efficient.

Crash presents a world where racism is surprisingly upfront. While that is no doubt true from time to time, that kind of racism can be spotted, challenged and in many cases, defeated. Isn't the worse racism the gentle racism that goes silent and undetected through our everday lives? The kind that doesn't show its face or allow itself to be challenged by free speech and the marketplace of ideas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Voix said...

Amen, Red 2.

Institutionalized racism is the worst kind.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Voix said...

You don't like banter in your comments, do you?

6:57 AM  
Blogger Ranger said...

Banter is fine. A comment means someone is reading. That I like.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home