Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

... and Taxes

Fitting that a day after Death, I should write about taxes. We did our taxes on Monday night. Of course both of us had looked them over a month or so ago. We had a few hiccups figuring out a couple things. Otherwise, following the instructions from our tax software was fairly easy. I remembered at the last minute that we had installed some insulation and some windows when we remodeled the kitchen and it felt responsible and good to take a tax credit on that.

I really never understood complaining too much about taxes. I mean I can understand some spirited discussion about the tax brackets, the constitutionality of income taxes and the obvious discourse we all need to have about the level of services we want, how to fund them and the problem of graft. But assuming the status quo, if your taxes are high that means you are making money. The more money you make, the higher your taxes are. When faced with the very real possibility of making nothing any given year, I'll take taxes thank you.
*
I remember taking Tax Law in law school. Basically, the key issue in that class was how to reduce a client's taxable income. My answer was make less, own less. Every other answer is what is wrong with the system. Sure you can depreciate assets, carry over losses, etc. etc. etc. But if you really hate paying taxes more than you love making money, there solution is right there for you. Making money is okay, paying taxes hurts the bank account a little, but theoretically, I can't help but think that my added tax burden correlates directly to my income and my relative purchasing power. My problem is that I can't find a way to correlate my income to my happiness. Ease maybe, but not happiness.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarge said...

Well...if I knew the taxes weren't going to the giant sinkhole of corruption and needless death...you'd think the bastards would want to pay double.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home