Oriflamme

I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I lead you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition. -Eugene V. Debs 1910.

Name:
Location: Asbestos, Quebec, Canada

Monday, January 15, 2007

Camping

Sometimes simple pleasures are the most important. The other night, my four year old son and I camped out in the living room. It's been quite a tradition, originally started to watch a little late night post-season baseball after his bedtime. I roll out my sleeping bag and he has a cot roll. Then we get the warmest covers we can scrounge and roll up on the floor, watch a little TV, talk a little and pass out.

Some of the time I wake up and discover he is long gone. It is a fun change of pace though. One of these days we will have to get a tent and head out for real. I miss camping from time to time. And canoeing. There was a park and a river I used to know like the back of my hand, but that was a long time ago. These days I wonder whether anyone (besides a small dedicated cadre of the outdoorsy) really camps or canoes.

When I was younger I remember people talking about not locking their front doors or their cars. I haven't heard that kind of talk in a long time. And try living with that mindset of safety and sleeping in a tent. It doesn't work. But, for me, its hard to feel more alive than I feel in the woods. Unless of course its in the woods in a rainstorm. For now though, I'll have to settle with nostalgic feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home